Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Maumee State Forest

I have been thinking hard about my first blog post and what I should say. I have come to the conclusion that I should just keep it simple so here it goes...

We got out to bird a couple times over the past few days. First we made it to the Providence dam the other morning and watched the sun rise. There was not a lot of bird activity other than a few ducks flying over head. We did discover what appeared to be ducks in the river but on closer inspection we realized that they were decoys and surprisingly there were two hunters setting in the grass on one of the islands. We later learned that hunting is permitted in the river as long as they only fire up and down the river and not toward the banks. We decided to move on to Maumee State Forest. There we spotted a downy woodpecker, a phoebe, nuthatch, and a black capped chickadee. All of which we had seen before so this leaves our life list (started in June) at 67. Picture below is the hiking path at Maumee State Forest. This is a great forest to walk through during late fall and winter months however during the summer it can be full of masquitoes.


I just purchased a Canon Powershot SX50 HS so I have high hopes of capturing pictures of all the birds. Photography is easy right?

2 comments: