Sunday, February 15, 2015

Winter Boredom

Winters in Northwest Ohio stink. This weekends highs are in the single digits with wind chills well below zero. This means that the Nerdy Birders were forced to stay inside all weekend. We ended up using this time to participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count. It was not the most exciting event but it gave us something to do, plus it is important to participate. Unfortunately there were not any rare birds to note. However, lately we started seeing a Tufted Titmouse at our bird feeder. We believe that he/she is coming in because we have started throwing out in-shell peanuts. It is funny to watch such a small bird carry a large peanut away. We have also started seeing a Northern Flicker on our block but have yet to see it at our feeder. Pictures of both birds are below.




I also took some time to make a couple changes to the layout of the Nerdy Birder Blog. I updated the Nerdy Birder Brief on the right hand side of the blog. I have also added a slideshow. The pictures in the slideshow are of birds that we have seen in the Grand Rapids Ohio area. They are not rare birds or birds passing through during migration, they are birds that anyone can see at any time of the year just by visiting the area or taking a stroll down one of the towpaths.

I am also in the market for a new camera and have been shopping around. The one that I currently have is not that old or functioning poorly, I am simply interested in taking a step up to a DSLR style cameras. I have used my Canon Power Shot more as a test to see how much I liked taking pictures of wildlife and also to see if it was a long term hobby or just a flash in the pan. After almost an entire year of a trial period (so to speak), I feel that this is something that I will be doing for years to come.

I hope that next week I will have more to report.

Happy Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment